How Truck Driving Companies Handle Accident Claims With Their Union Reps

About Me
Avoiding Renter's Regret: Understanding Renter's Insurance Coverage

Moving into my first apartment brought along a whole series of new experiences. I didn't realize that the property insurance my landlord carried wouldn't cover my belongings. I was lucky to find out before anything happened, and I spent a lot of time researching the difference between renter's insurance and the property coverage for landlords. I built this site to share all of the information that I learned, including the insurance coverage best practices I picked up along the way. If you're new to renting and don't have any renter's insurance, I hope the information here helps you to see how it could benefit you and what you need to do to get it.


How Truck Driving Companies Handle Accident Claims With Their Union Reps

14 November 2014
 Categories: Insurance, Blog

Drivers who work for and are part of a trucking union have commercial trucking insurance through their employers but truckers are protected by union representatives when they get into a trucking accident. That does not mean that employers should not be notified of an accident. It just means that there is more than one person to notify. Since you are part of a union, your employer cannot fire you because of an accident (or two). The details in the event are sorted out between the union rep, the insurance agency, and the employer to achieve the best possible outcome.

What You Need to Do Right After the Accident

If you were driving your own car and not a commercial vehicle, you would automatically call the insurance agent. When you are at work and get into an accident with a commercial truck, that particular detail is something you do not have to deal with. The first thing you will have to do is call your boss. Your boss, who is the one that purchased all of the trucking insurance on his or her vehicles, handles the claim process with the insurance company and agent. The next phone call you make is to your union representative, who will direct you to what else you need to do.

Call the Police If They Have Not Been Called Already

Usually while you are speaking to your boss and to your union rep, a bystander or someone else who was involved in the accident will call the police. If this is not the case, you will have to call the police. The police will document exactly what happened and where the final resting positions of all vehicles are. You need a copy of the police report to give to your boss and it might be a good idea to have a second copy for yourself and/or your union rep. Your boss will need it for the insurance company and claim, while you will need to defend yourself in court if your boss fires you for your part in the accident.

When It All Comes Out Right

Some bosses may work with union leaders when things go wrong on the job. In the case of your accident, you will probably get a warning and return to work the next day without any problems. The insurance company works out the claim with your boss, the truck is repaired, other drivers are taken care of, and it all works out fine. When it does not come out right, you could be sued several times over and fired, in which case your rep will find you legal counsel to counter-sue your employer, the insurance company, and other drivers as needed. Visit for more information.